FibroScan® is a non-invasive, quick, painless and easy method to measure liver scarring, or fibrosis that is caused by various liver diseases. The process will only take 5-7 minutes to perform without any sedation required since this is a painless test, this convenient process comes without side effects. Results are available and is processed on the same day.
Your physician may recommend the test if you have one of the following chronic liver conditions:
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Alcoholic liver disease
- Non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
- Autoimmune hepatitis
- Genetic diseases such as hemochromatosis and Wilson’s disease
What to Expect Once You Arrive for the Test?
- Plan to arrive early before your scheduled procedure time.
- Because this process is pain- free it does not require sedation of any kind.
- The procedure usually takes about 5-7 minutes
- For the procedure, you will lie on your back with your right arm raised behind your head and your right abdominal area exposed.
- Physician will apply a water-based gel to your skin and then place a non-invasive probe over your liver.
- During the exam, you may feel a slight vibration on the skin at the tip of the probe as it delivers ultrasound waves to the area for measuring purposes.